Why Would Amar'e Leave?



















I'm putting myself in the mind of Amar'e Stoudemire. I'm one of the best big men in the NBA. I'm still only 27 years old. I am entering my prime and I play on a team that is currently 2 wins away from a trip to the NBA Finals. Currently, I am preparing to for Game 5 tonight in L.A. against the defending champion Lakers. Life is good!


I also have an early termination option in my contract that could make me an unrestricted free agent this summer. I would be one of the most sought after free agents this summer along with LeBron, DWade, Chris Bosh and Dirk. I have a few options: 1) Become a free agent this summer, 2) Play out my final season and earn 17.6 million, 3) Sign an extension with the Suns this summer.

If I leave Phoenix, where would I go? New York has my old coach and runs an uptempo offensive system that I love. Miami is in my home state of Florida and has a star with DWade. Chicago and New Jersey have cap space but I don't know if they would be a good fit.

So what do I want in a team? Does my current team, the Phoenix Suns have everything I could possibly want?

Most importantly, I want to win.

1) A championship contender. Check

Phoenix has made the playoffs in all but 2 of my eight seasons there. The Heat and Bulls lost in the first round this year. The Nets and the Knicks didn't come close to making the playoffs. We haven't got to the finals yet but we are very close.

2) A great location. Check
Miami has some nice weather, but so does Phoenix. New York may have the Super Bowl in 2014, but it gets cold there. Plus the fans in Phoenix love me right now.

3) A good core of players. Mainly young players. Check

Steve Nash is 36, Grant Hill is 37, and our 3rd string center Jarron Collins is 31. Everyone else on the roster is under 30. In fact, I am the fifth oldest player on the roster at age 27. When the great Steve Nash and Grant Hill retire we have Goran Dragic and Jared Dudley waiting to replace them. Both Dragic and Dudley could be starting on most other teams right now. I've also got some good young bigs in Channing Frye and Robin Lopez to help me down low. If rookie Earl Clark can develop we should stay very competitive.


4) Money. Check
Oh by the way, my current team, the Phoenix Suns can pay me more money than any other team in the NBA.

I guess the choice seems pretty simple. I should make sure my Phoenix Suns re-sign free agent Channing Frye and give Jared Dudley an extension this summer. Then I should sign my own extension. I have no real reason to leave. Life is good in Phoenix for Amar'e Stoudemire.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

2018 NFL DRAFT: Pre Combine BIG BOARD

2023 NBA FREE AGENCY RANKINGS and LISTS

2019 NCAA BRACKETOLOGY